Saturday 19 September 2015

The first 24 hours

I know, I know. I said I wouldn't blog, but here I am. The past 30 odd hours have been something of an adventure in themselves.

After a reasonably positive start, our plane to Lima was diverted to Manaus in Brazil following a medical emergency on board. Following a 2-2.5 hour wait, we got going again to arrive at the airport 10 minutes after our connecting flight to Cusco departed. Cue panicked texts from my parents who were able to do precisely nothing to help. They were ordered to chill at around the point we realised Dave's luggage never actually boarded the plane at Madrid. Good.

So tired, dehydrated and minus 1x luggage, we waited an hour to get on another flight, which deposited us at Cusco at around 4pm local time.

Since then things have been rather smoother. Our friendly taxi driver, having popped our bags in the boot, proceeded to hand us cocoa tea and biscuits. Needless to say, my impression of Peru and its people immediately improved. We checked in and were hustled back out for lunch. I say lunch, by this time it was 5pm and more like dinner.

At the time of writing I am waiting to be briefed by the tour guide. Then I will be hitting the proverbial sack.

More in due course...

No comments:

Post a Comment